Carlos Souto has a broad base of experience and deep knowledge in the technology, financial, energy, consumer products and manufacturing industries. Clients value the unique perspective he brings to them, which is gained from his time spent in-house and as an outside counsel to some of the country’s most innovative companies. Carlos frequently serves as external General Counsel for his clients, offering strategies to address the abstract and complex legal challenges of dispute resolution, corporate transactions and contract negotiations. His clients describe him as having an unparalleled commitment to them and they value his ability to assemble the right team of subject matter experts to address their needs. During Brazil’s privatization period in the mid-1990s, Carlos worked as outside counsel on several complex privatization projects in the electric and telecommunications industries, as well as counseling clients on labor, civil and administrative matters.
During this time, he also advised numerous municipal, state and federal entities on outsourcing and on the legal issues related to said outsourcing. By constantly advising top companies, he has continued to build upon his industry expertise and enhance his skills in handling complex matters in dispute resolution, product liability, and corporate and regulatory law. Carlos is very involved in the business community and has been an active participant in the young Presidents Organization (YPO) since 2001. He frequently speaks internationally and he has authored several books and legal publications on the topics of outsourcing, liability, consumer law, public bids and energy.
He is also the author of several articles in the Administrative and Regulatory fields. For years, he has been recommended as a prominent lawyer in Litigation in recognized guides such as Chambers & Partners, Who’s Who Legal and Legal 500.
• O novo modelo do setor elétrico brasileiro e as cooperativas de eletrificação rural. Livraria do Advogado, 1999 (book).
• Descomplicando o contrato coletivo de trabalho. L&PM, 1993 (livro).
• Gerenciamento de contratos: Como contratar e gerenciar bens e serviços. CLT Editora Cultural, 1993 (book).
• Terceirização Passo a Passo: o caminho para a administração pública e privada. Sagra – DC Luzzatto, 1993 (book).
• Exigências de certidões negativas de débitos para participar em licitações e contratar com a Administração Pública (in Certidões Negativas de Débito). Livraria do Advogado, 1999 (article).
• Injustiça do Trabalho (in Custo Brasil). Ortiz, 1995 (article).
• OPM – Harvard Business School Shanghai (HBS, 2011).
• OPM – Harvard Business School (HBS, 2005).
• Course: Preparatório à carreira do Ministério Público (1999).
• Specialization in Economics and Business Law (1998).
• Course: Political Culture, Rule of Law and Democracy (Friederich – Naumann, Alemanha, 1997).
• Specialization in Philosophy and Political Economy (PUCRS, 1995).
• Bachelor of Laws (UFRGS, 1989).
• President of the Institute of Business Studies (IEE, 1994-1995).
• President of Instituto Liberal (IL).
• President of Conselho Nacional dos Institutos Liberais (CONIL).
• Vice President da Federação das Associações Comerciais e de Serviços do Rio Grande do Sul (FEDERASUL).
• Conselheiro no Conselho Superior da Associação Comercial de Porto Alegre (ACPA).
• Presidente e membro do Conselho Regional da AMCHAM/RS.
• President of YPO – Capítulo Porto Alegre (RS).
• President of YPO – Área Brazil.
• Membro do Conselho do Y-WPO – Área Brazil.
• Libertas Award(IEE).
• Asa Delta Award (IEE).