The firm has expertise in handling consulting and litigation matters stemming from the relationship between individuals or private companies and public authorities (procurement and government contracts, concessions, permissions and authorizations, expropriation and administrative easements, administrative sanctioning proceedings, administrative misconduct actions and anticorruption law).
The firm also represents clients in infrastructure-related matters, especially energy, oil and gas, sanitation, harbors and airports, railways and mining.
The team often represents clients before national regulatory agencies, such as the National Agency of Electric Power – ANEEL, the Brazilian Oil Agency – ANP, the National Agency of Civil Aviation – ANAC, the National Agency of Waterway Transport – ANTAQ, the National Agency of Land Transportation – ANTT, the Chamber of Commerce of Electric Power – CCEE and the National System Operator – NOS.
“Delivering a ‘very good cost-benefit ratio for a specialised service’, Souto Correa has experience in a broad range of power sector matters. (…) Gustavo Kaercher Loureiro is ‘dedicated’ (…)” (Legal 500).
• Assistance to technology company in all its purchase and sale agreements and in its contracts for services rendered to public authorities;
• Drafting legal opinion for an association of electricity-related companies regarding the application of the anti-corruption law (Law 12.846/2013);
• Representation in a lawsuit against ANEEL in order to revert a decision that had imposed losses in an operation in the electricity sector;
• Representation before administrative authorities and courts in order to stave off penalties for failure to generate energy from biomass;
• Representation of electricity distributors in lawsuits seeking tariff reviews;
• Representation of a client in electricity generation lawsuits seeking to nullify administrative decisions from ANEEL;
• Acting as amicus curiae before State Courts, the Superior Court and the Supreme Court on behalf of an electricity distributors association in lawsuits that impact the energy sector;
• Representation of a large association of electricity consumers in a lawsuit against a decision rendered by the Ministry of Mines and Energy.