The Timberland practice encompasses ongoing counselling for land and timber acquisitions and sales, in addition to timberland management and start of operations, M&A involving companies in the segment, joint ventures, acquisition and sales of industries and other facilities, financing of forest transactions, supply, real estate regularization, purchase and lease options. The team also counts on the support of other practice areas in activities such as public financing, environmental licensing, corporate, environmental, tax and real estate, among other matters.
The team acts before administrative and judiciary bodies to help protect and recover our clients’ assets and minimize liabilities and court disputes. Souto Correa also represents clients in disputes related to the timberland and forestry segment in general, through negotiation, mediation and arbitration or litigation, involving land regularization, possessory, labour, corporate, tax and environmental issues, acting on collective actions, civil investigations and criminal proceedings, negotiations with the Public Prosecutor’s Office and other bodies of public administration. The team is also involved in demands for the development of renewable energies, green certifications and green products.
“Clients describe the team as ‘dedicated and able to provide tailor-made assistance,’ adding: ‘They are available and prompt in their services.’” (Chambers and Partners)
“Market reviewers describe partner Gilberto Deon Corrêa Junior as ‘a polished, assertive and able lawyer who offers proven capabilities in the sector.’” (Chambers and Partners)
“Rafaela Kern offers broad experience in advising clients on corporate, real estate and contractual matters involving forestry law. Clients often highlight her language skills, which includes Chinese, adding: ‘She knows our business and is efficient solving our problems.’” (Chambers and Partners)
• Counselling to an international timberland investment group involving approximately BRL300MM in assets since its inception in Brazil, comprising corporate, environmental, labour, tax, among other issues;
• Representation of a corporate group in an arbitration proceeding regarding a forestry investment in the State of Minas Gerais involving approximately BRL 170MM;
• Advice to a traditional timber frame company in the segment of high value products in the renegotiation of contracts related to a joint venture with a timberland investment fund involving amounts of approximately BRL50MM;
• Counselling to an international timberland investment fund in the acquisition of forest assets located in the State of Rio Grande do Sul, involving amounts of approximately BRL34MM;
• Counselling to an international timberland investment fund in the acquisition of forest assets located in the State of Paraná in the amount of BRL28.8MM;
• Representation of a timberland investment company in a repossession lawsuit involving a rural property trespassed and invaded by the Landless Workers’ Movement;
• Counselling to a pulp and paper industry in complying with a Conduct Adjustment Agreement involving approximately 25 thousand hectares in the State of Santa Catarina, regarding the environmental licensing actions and regularization of the legal reserve of its own areas and their partners’ areas, besides in negotiations with the Public Prosecutor’s Office.