Souto Correa’s Litigation area plays an active role in the prevention and resolution of complex litigation at the administrative and judicial levels, representing clients before all instances of the Brazilian courts and assisting them in developing strategies to reduce the number of lawsuits.
With a team of experts that handles proceedings involving the most diverse sectors of the economy, such as pulp and paper, equipment, petrochemicals, our practice handles matters that include corporate litigation, sales representation agreements, distribution agreements, and disputes in the government sector.
- Amicus curiae on behalf of an agency representing the electric power distribution sector before the Brazilian Supreme Court (STF) and the Superior Court of Justice (STJ), with favorable decisions on public pricing and electromagnetic fields;
- Representation of a global IT equipment manufacturer in strategic actions involving fines and other penalties imposed by public authorities in administrative supply agreements;
- Representation of an infrastructure company in an action filed by the world’s largest hydroelectric power plant involving liability for contract relating to equipment supply and installation of power-generating units;
- Representation of a group of companies in an action involving commercial representation/agency agreements and distribution agreements;
- Representation of a client in a corporate litigation over the control of a petrochemical company during its acquisition and consolidation in the Brazilian market.
Double damages in cartel cases
On November 17, 2022, Law No. 14,470/2022, which implemented changes to certain provisions of Law No. 12,529/2011 (the Brazilian Competition Act), was published.
The Legal 500 - Latin America 2023
A day after the Leaders League announcement, Souto Correa was once more featured in another international ranking: The Legal 500. In total, we had 55 recommended lawyers and 15 practice areas recognized for our legal services. Special mentions for the areas of Litigation and Corporate, which moved up in position, and the areas of Hydrocarbons, Life Sciences, Media and Entertainment, and Aviation entered the ranking for the first time.
Souto Correa Advogados was once more featured in Latin Lawyer 250
Souto Correa Advogados was once more featured in Latin Lawyer 250. In total, 14 professionals were recognized in four areas of practice.